Cuan Mhuire Dublin Road, Newry
It became evident that the facilities offered by Cuan Mhuire at the Armagh Road site were in need of upgrading and redeveloping. As a result of the construction of the Newry bypass, Cuan Mhuire were prevented from redeveloping facilities at this existing site. In July 2007 a new site was purchased on the Dublin Road, Newry. Planning permission for the new centre was obtained with construction works beginning in mid-2010.
The first phase of this project entailed the creation of a fully operational facility in line with all other Cuan Mhuire centres with 102 treatment beds, complete with job skills and training facilities and educational facilities.
Works on this phase were completed in late August 2012.
The overall development cost of the facility was over $11,000,000 including for land purchase and planning permission costs, with much of the works being undertaken by volunteers, residents and past residents of Cuan Mhuire.
Cuan Mhuire Dublin Road, Newry New Facilities
Facilities Provided at the Dublin Road site include:
- A 39 bed male residential facility complete with work therapies, training and educational facilities.
- A 31 bed female residential facility complete with work therapies, training and educational facilities.
- A 32 bed assessment facility for both males and females.
- Offices and administration facilities.
- Conference Rooms and facilities for public use including for AA, NA and GA meetings.
Training and Educational facilities provided for include Computer, Literacy, Pottery, Upholstery, Art and Sewing/Knitting. Other facilities allow for recreational facilities including a Gymnasium.